Carlos Carvalhal has revealed Renato Sanches is currently back at Bayern, and was unable to say with any certainty whether the midfielder would play a part in the remainder of Swansea City’s survival battle.
The Portugal international’s loan spell in South Wales has been a major disappointment, with the 20-year-old only showing very fleeting glimpses of the form that had marked him out as one of European football’s brightest young stars.
He has also been hit by several niggling injury problems, including the hamstring problem that has seen him sidelined since the original FA Cup fourth-round tie at Notts County.
Prior to the international break Swans boss Carvalhal had said he expected the former Benfica man to be back in full training by the end of March, but he remains in Bavaria with Bayern having undergone a further scan on his injury last week.
Sanches has also spent time back in Portugal during his recovery, and his continued absence from the club’s Fairwood base will only add to a growing sense among supporters that he might have already played his last game for Swansea.
Carvalhal did say it was possible Sanches could return within a fortnight, but admitted any possible comeback will depend on his parent club.
“He belongs to Bayern. He has been back in Munich, for the final stage of the recovery,” said Carvalhal.
“He has been in Munich the last two weeks and now we are waiting. He had a scan last Tuesday, the scan was okay.
“I’ve talked with him, he is progressing very well, and now we are waiting for him. I don’t know if it will be this week or next week, it depends on Bayern Munich.”
When pressed on whether Sanches would play a part over the remaining eight games of Swansea’s battle to avoid relegation, Carvalhal added: “We never know.